- Thermal stage: acid gases are burnt with air to produce sulphur at high temperature thanks to Claus reaction.
- COS and CS2 hydrolysis: COS and CS2 from the process gases are hydrolyzed at high temperature in the first zone of the SmartSulf™ reactor operating in hot mode.
- Claus reaction: Claus reaction occurs in the second zone of the hot mode SmartSulf™ reactor where heat of reaction is continuously removed by thermoplates internals, thus increasing sulphur conversion.
- Subdewpoint Claus reaction: Claus reaction is performed in the cold mode SmartSulf™ reactor operating below sulphur dewpoint and producing liquid sulphur which is trapped on catalyst.
- Cycle switch: when cold mode SmartSulf™ reactor is saturated with liquid sulphur, a switch between hot and cold mode is performed automatically by rotating the two coupled 4 way valves, enabling the beginning of a new cycle.
- Performance above 99.5% sulphur recovery
- Complete COS and CS2 destruction at high temperature
- Proven technology, successfully operating in commercial plants since 1995
- Very low capital cost
- Low operation cost: process is fully automatic and nearly needs no follow-up
- Use of conventional open market Claus catalysts
- Easy retrofit to upgrade existing Claus units into SmartSulf™
There are currently 17 references using SmartSulf™ technology